Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Break Evangelism

Today on Salon was a quite interesting excerpt: http://http://www.salon.com/mwt/excerpt/2009/03/18/unlikely_disciple/index.html. It's from Kevin Roose's book "The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University" . Kevin Roose is a student from Brown who goes undercover at Christian University. This excerpt covers his spring break which was spent evangelizing in Daytona Beach, Florida.
I found it particularly interesting since I was once a part of a religion that is characterized by "witnessing," the word which the author feels "seems to be the most all-purpose." I have also never gone on a true "Spring Break," so let's say I was doubly entertained by the narrative.
Roose's story is filled with details of his trip through his attitude of "ambivalen[ce] towards God" and the evangelicals he consorts with on his trip. One can see that he admires his fellow students even though he obviously does not agree with them.
What stands out to me is Reese's difficulty in justifying his actions while undercover. He was extremely afraid of accidentally converting someone, to the point that he set out guidelines beforehand to ensure he didn't do so. However, it turns out that he didn't have to worry about this. Between the over-zealous hell-fire threatening types, and the meeker caring for the homeless types, over the entire week, only two people were "saved." The excerpt ends interestingly, on the road back in the "Jesusmobile," with one student questioning the productivity of the outing. The idea of "productivity" was disconcerting to me. The student says to Reese, "I probably won't evangelize like this again." I was left wondering, what other way (really) is there?
To this day, I have trouble reconciling my feelings about my former religion. I have only written about the experience one other time, and it was in my College Entrance Essay. Personally, I can't harshly judge those who feel it is their duty to spread God's word. What I have trouble with, are those who, like some in the story, threaten hellfire and other punishments for not accepting their word. I am definitely in the school of thought that believes few will listen to a message crammed down a throat.
I appreciated this article because the author also didn't cram his message down a throat, but more so exposed the lengths that certain religions are going to in order to "save," letting readers decide for themselves the productivity of the day: for Reese, for the other students, for the cheerful director, for those saved, and for religion in general. And, possibly, even the productivity of reading the excerpt. But what I want to know is, what about that Evangelical Night Club rouse? Who got saved from that? And what a great practical joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment